Geneva International Model United Nations
- September 4, 2014 - 0 Comments
The first conference of Negotiations.CH will be on November 28, 2014, at ZHAW Winterthur. The topic is “Cultural Differences in Negotiations”. This...
- September 10, 2014 - 0 Comments
Look at all the open positions and apply for those that interest you ! Open positions : You...
- September 10, 2014 - 0 Comments
GIMUN will celebrate Universal Children’s Day on the 20th of November at the Palais des Nations. The 2014...
- October 17, 2014 - 0 Comments
What is UNO- You know ?! Last articles : Perspectives on the Right to privacy and and Data Protection...
GIMUN – Bringing students closer to the UN since 1999
Geneva International Model United Nations (GIMUN) is a fully student run Non Governmental Organisation in Special Consultative Status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council. Our goal is to promote the ideals and principles of the United Nations among the youth – university students in particular. We seek to provide young adults with a multilateral platform to discuss various global issues that are handled by the UN. Our core event is the Annual MUN Conference, but we also organise a whole range of other activities throughout the year.
What is GIMUN?
Geneva International Model United Nations (GIMUN) is a Geneva based Non Governmental Organization in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations. Run entirely by students, its aim is to promote the ideals and principles of the United Nations by giving students a chance to participate in educative events.
What does GIMUN do?
GIMUN organizes many different events throughout the year. From year to year, these activities have been developed in order to fulfill the ideal of GIMUN as a permanent platform that young people can use to discuss international affairs, the role of the United Nations and its values. The granting in 2007 of the Special Consultative Status at the ECOSOC underlines this new conception of the Organization.
GIMUN collaborates in different regional, national and international initiative in order to share its experience and learn from other similar organizations across Switzerland and the world. As an active member in the Swiss Youth Network Association, JUNES, GIMUN organizes projects with JUNES, helps organize the JUNESMUN and works closely with other Swiss Youth Associations.
GIMUN is also a member of the GSUN, the Swiss UN Association, and had an active role in the creation and further development of EMUNNET, a network of MUNs across Europe. GIMUN plans to continue its active participation with those three important partners, as well as developing its activities with the Graduate Institute of International Studies and Development and with the University of Geneva.
Our activities have classically included the organization of conferences, the moderation of panels or the co-organisation of events related to the UNOG. This year, our projects are the following :
- GIMUN Annual Conference in March of every year
- The elaboration of MUN Society, that meet every week in block sessions of 6 weeks in order to simulate a committee of the United Nations
- The creation of an online-journal, “UNO, You Know?” that will allow students to express their opinions on international affairs, and acquire information on different UN-related topics
- The organization of educative events on the United Nations (e.g. Visits of interesting sessions at the United Nations, conferences, panel discussions)
- The organization of a conference, “Youth Perspectives”, that will give a voice to young people on topics discussed at the ECOSOC during our term
- The organization of a study trip with our partner IFIL (Initiative for Intercultural Learning).